- You can download the app on your smartphone (especially church staff, we recommend you do this if you are able so that you can receive real time notifications).
- You can open on any browser by visiting gileadfriendschurch.slack.com (recommended for school staff working off of a Chromebook)
- You can down the program on to your laptop or desktop computer by visiting this link:
- You can download the app on your tablet
- If you ever forget where to find Slack, you can go on our website (gileadfriendschurch.org), click the "Resources" tab, and then click "Slack."
You can click on the pictures below to enlarge them.
Now you can see on my screen that I have a list of channels to scroll through. Some of them are public (marked by the hastag) meaning anyone could search for these channels and see what we are talking about, and some of them are private (marked by the padlock) meaning only those invited to the channel can see what's posted in there. After the new year, almost all channels will be private channels as we add more and more staff to Slack. We want everyone to be confident that they know who they are having a conversation with.
Poor Adam is my unexpecting example (even though he has not yet put in his job description or phone number. We'll let it slide this time.) As you can see, you have the option to message him right from his profile OR you can call him. That's right! You can actually call people over Slack!
I've had someone call me before right to my desktop app, and I talked to him on my computer. It can be a pretty handy intercom system.
Notifications in Slack- IMPORTANT!
Starting back at our channel page, you are going to look for the channel name. In this example, our channel is "ad-council" and the name is located towards the top left of your screen. Click "ad-council."
Edit Your Profile
- Add a picture that clearly shows your face. Again, many of us don't cross paths during the week. When, let's say a member of the GCS PTO needs to touch base with our Elder of Education, maybe those two have never met in person but it's really nice to be able to see who you are talking to. ADD A PICTURE!
- Change your role (as it relates to the church/school.) This could be "Elder of Outreach" or "High School Science Teacher" or "Little Gilead Staff" or "Pastor". You get the idea.
- Completely ignore Skype.
- Add your phone number. Sometimes you need to just pick up the phone and call someone. This does not make your phone number public to absolutely everyone in our church or every person who attends the school. Slack is private, invitation only, only used by church/ school staff. Please add a phone number where someone can reach you if they need to.
- This last one should already be set up from when you were invited to Slack, however if you missed the instructions, you may be asked to change it: your username. Your username should be for first and last name together. For example, mine is rachelmarozzi. Please do not use things like rachy88 or rachelisthecoolest. When in a channel, others can tag you by your username, and it's most easiest to remember everyone's user name by it simply being their own name.